Corporate Wellness in London Overview
Practices such as yoga, meditation, mindfulness and acupuncture have been well documented for their capacity to reduce stress and improve health. At work, lower stress equates to greater satisfaction, creativity, productivity and reduced absenteeism and time sitting at work under the weather!
Progressive employers are also more likely to attract a greater calibre of recruit – businesses the world over are realising this and incorporating wellness practices into their workplaces.
To see how effectively wellbeing practices translate economically view this government commissioned research by Pricewaterhouse Coopers which highlights the commercial benefits of wellness initiatives at work – for example that for each £1 spent, there has been a quantifiable recovery of £4.17 in programme benefits.
From both the employers and employee’s perspective there are many benefits;
Benefits For The Employer:
- Reduction in sick days (workplace stress now accounts for around 160million lost days per year*)
- Reduction in stress, anxiety and depression (the leading cause of long-term absence*)
- Cost benefit of improved wellness (stress related absence costs the U.K economy £4billion*)
- Improvement in workplace atmosphere
- Team building – sometimes we need to transcend our hierarchy and connect as equals
- Accelerated learning and creativity – Yoga practice stimulates right brain function
- Improved employee satisfaction
- Improvement to posture (The HSE estimates that musculoskeletal disorders are responsible for almost 10 million lost working days per annum**)
Benefits For The Employee:
- Calming of the nervous system and therefore clearer mind
- Improved workplace atmosphere and rapport with colleagues
- Improvement to digestion, sleep, energy levels and posture
- Improvement to family life, relationships, intimacy
- Relief of emotional frustration
- Greater connection to your passions (when you are more ’embodied’ you feel more and become more discerning)
“Highly recommend this class, folks. I went for the first time last week. Richard guides you along to create a lovely balance between being energised and relaxed. Great for the non-flexible types like myself”